Our Cost Estimating department analyzes drawings, specifications, code requirements, and other related documents in order to efficiently prepare detailed and highly accurate cost, value engineering, and labor estimates. Our clients consist of architectural firms, design engineers, facility and municipality managers, building owners, and project managers.
A Senior Estimator at Daedalus will advise our clients at particular milestones during the development of design documents and offer guidance with constructability and bidding documentation. They will report directly to our Director of Cost Estimating and the Firm President, with whom they will collaborate to ensure estimates are accurate and comprehensive.
The ideal candidate should be well versed in code requirements and be able to complete take-offs even with partial information (conceptual/working drawings through complete bid documents). They will be highly proficient in developing value management strategies. This candidate must also have excellent communication and relationship-building skills, and have experience interfacing with customers, vendors, and business partners.
Specific duties include:
- Creating detailed cost estimates, including scope definition and exceptions/exclusions for all architectural, structural, civil, and landscaping elements
- Verifying estimated construction costs of each project by obtaining current pricing from material vendors and contractors from the project’s geographic region who specialize in the defined building components
- Providing regular cost and schedule impact analysis of regional labor force resources and availability that directly affect the client’s budget
- Advising clients about the gross burdens (markups and profits of bidding contractors based on current industry knowledge) and overall project risks
- Anticipating market conditions at the time of bid
- Developing value management/”value engineering” options
- Identifying labor and scope risks
- Developing and maintaining relationships with current and potential clients that will result in positive long-term recurrent business partnerships
- Identifying prospects for new business and developing opportunities in conjunction with the Marketing and Business Development staff
- Advising Daedalus’ Project Management Department, which includes promptly providing cost information regarding projects during construction
- Reviewing and editing the Cost Estimating team’s product to ensure thoroughness and accuracy of scope, prior to presenting completed product to the Director of Estimating
- Providing feedback, mentoring, and training to the Cost Estimating team members regarding their work on projects and professional skills development
- Leading meetings and presentations with management, clients, building owners, and other stakeholders
- Staying current with industry standards in order to maintain the firm’s competitive advantage
- Traveling, both locally and interstate, for client meetings and project site visits
This description is intended to be sufficient to identify the job level and to be illustrative of the duties that may be required. It shall not be interpreted to describe all the duties that may be required to perform.
BASIC KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS:
General construction industry laws, regulations, policies, and practices
- State building codes
- Cost implications of local and national building codes
- Business process and procedures
- Public and private construction process and procurement
- Value management (“value engineering”) practices
- LEED and/or Sustainable Design standards and requirements
- Costs, budgets, work breakdown structure, normalization
- High level of accuracy in cost estimating, as verified by bid returns
- Expert-level ability to read and understand design documents
- Quantification utilizing On Center On-Screen Takeoff Software from design documents
- Ability to complete quantity takeoffs, even with partial information, for all levels of design (including conceptual)
- Analysis and reporting of labor productivity, historical cost data, and life-cycle costs
- Estimate reconciliation with independent cost estimators and construction manager’s estimators
- Ability to track project cost estimates throughout the design process
- Broad experience interfacing with clients, potential clients, vendors, and business partners with excellent communication and relationship-building skills
- Effective and clear communication in the presentation of information to and response to questions from clients, management, and colleagues
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
- Job experience consistent with 15+ years of Construction Cost Estimating
- Advanced user of Microsoft Office Suite (2014 or later), particularly Microsoft Excel
- Proficiency with On Center On-Screen Takeoff Software
- Familiarity with AutoDesk software is a plus
- LEED certification is a plus
COMPENSATION and BENEFITS:
Salary will be commensurate to experience. Daedalus offers a very competitive benefits package, including 401k, health and dental insurance, paid vacation/personal time, Flexible Spending program, and corporate MBTA program.
Founded in 1989, Daedalus Projects, Inc. provides comprehensive Cost Estimating and Project Management services for public and private clients across the nation. Our Cost Estimating department completes more than 250 estimates annually for all building types, at all phases of design. This includes collaborating with our Project Management department, which has successfully managed more than $1 billion in public and private construction over the last decade. Based in the heart of downtown Boston, we are a small, privately-owned and managed business that prides itself on fostering a collaborative environment.